Frequently Asked Questions for Shower Doors
What's process for getting a new frameless shower door?
Here's a breakdown of the process for getting a new frameless shower enclosure, from start to finish:
- Get a Quote: First, choose the shape of shower that best suits your needs. Then, choose your customization options, like the hardware finish and type of handle. Submit your request, and one of our shower experts will get back to you with a quote via email. Timeframe: quote within 24 hours You can also call 1(866) 452-7707 or contact us for assistance.
- Review and Approve Quote: Take some time to review your quote. One of our shower experts will follow up with you to make sure all your questions are answered. Once you approve the quote, you're ready for the next step.
- Professional Measurements: We'll schedule an appointment to have one of our technicians come to your house and take professional measurements, so we can finalize your quote and begin fabrication. We'll require a 50% deposit for the next step to begin. Timeframe: Within 1-3 business days
- Manufacturing: We cut, polish and temper your glass shower panels, assemble the hardware, and get everything read for installation. Timeframe: 5 to 7 business days
- Installation: We'll schedule a time with you, after all of your tile work is done, for installation. This step can usually be done in one day. Voila! You have the shower of your dreams. Timeframe: 1 day
Why do frameless shower quotes vary between companies? Sometimes a lot!
All frameless showers are NOT created equal. We have a price-match guarantee if you bring us a quote that is lower than ours, for the same shower specifications.
Let's take a look at the most common factors for why shower quotes vary:
Glass Thickness: 3/8" glass and 1/2" glass are common sizes and serve different purposes. Half-inch glass may be used when there is a glass-to-glass panel required on your shower. Or, you may choose it for its sturdiness or aesthetics. When comparing quotes, this is often a place where other manufacturers may differ.
Metal Clips vs. U-channels: When clients tell us they'd like a frameless glass shower, we give them one. A true frameless shower is installed with 2-inch metal clips fixed directly onto glass panels at minimal intervals. you do have the option of using less expensive u-channels; aluminum rails that fit over the entire edge of glass panels. but these add a framed look to a frameless glass shower. some companies refer to this as a semi-frameless shower. these rails are used to secure glass panels to a floor, wall or ceiling. frameless shower estimates for these metal clip installations and u-channel installations will be very different.
Door Hinges: If you're seeing a difference in your shower quote, look for the type of hinges you're being quoted for. We generally quote using side hinges because these can be sealed for a more watertight fit around your shower door. the other hinge – a pivot hinge -- cannot be sealed.
Glass Type and Treatment Options: For clients who are investing in an all-glass shower, we recommend upgrading to HDglass, which has no greenish tint like standard clear glass. We also have a proprietary glass treatment option called ClearShield which makes your shower stain resistant and easier to clean (and even comes with a 10-year warranty). These two upgrades will add cost to your quote, so make sure you're comparing apples to apples.
Hardware Style and Finishes: Just as showerhead and faucet designs vary in price and finishing choices, so do style choices for clips, rails, door handles, towel bars and robe hooks. We manufacture the highest quality hardware available; our hinges, clips and accessories are made from solid metal. Other companies use metal-plated or cast metal hardware that can't compete for durability.
Now that you know all frameless glass showers aren't created equal, let us help you make the best choices for your investment -- and your budget. Bring your frameless shower estimates to us for consideration on our price-match guaranty.
Will the price estimate for my frameless shower door be the final project cost?
Once our technicians come out to take exact measurements for your frameless shower, a Dulles Glass & Mirror sales associate will provide a final price quote. Our early estimates are extremely close to the final product quote and can be used for budgeting -- as long as no major changes occur with the project. For example, our measurements may show a wider space than the original rough measurements, adding a couple inches your shower glass width. You may change your choice of glass thickness.
What needs to be completed before you can measure my space?
If you are renovating your entire shower (or building new), the shower floor and all tilework, (not just a tile sill) must be completed.
How long will it take for you to measure for my frameless shower and what can I expect?
It will take one to two hours to fully measure a standard three-panel frameless glass shower. Our measurement technicians use special equipment to get exact measurements, which will then be used in our CAD software to get an accurate final quote.
How long will it take to manufacture my frameless glass shower door?
Once initiated, our manufacturing process for frameless glass shower doors will be completed in 5 to 7 business days. We temper and polish glass onsite, so we never have to wait for anyone else to make something for us.
When your glass is ready for installation, we will call you to schedule your installation. Your appointment can be scheduled within days.
What is the manufacturing process for glass showers?
During the manufacturing process, we'll receive and inspect hardware, cut glass into panels and doors and polish all glass edges. Then we'll work on each piece of glass, making precision cuts for hardware notches, door handles, towel bars and robe hooks. Then the last step is tempering the glass to meet safety guidelines. Once tempered, shower glass cannot be cut further or it will shatter.
Once we begin manufacturing your shower glass, no changes to your order can be made. If you're serious about changing your frameless shower design, then we will charge for all previous glass work and cost, in addition to the cost of manufacturing your new shower design.
Can I install frameless shower doors myself?
Any frameless enclosures that use more than one glass panel should always be installed by a professionally trained team of technicians. Here's why:
- We use professional measurement equipment to make sure the glass is sized perfectly for your space. If the shower glass is fabricated with incorrect measurements, you would not be able to install it.
- Glass is tempered, so it can't be recut if the fabricated piece of glass is not the right size.
- A frameless shower that isn't installed correctly is extremely dangerous.
- We also use professional glazier's installation tools, including CAD software, to ensure structural soundness.
- Your installer also keeps track of safety codes that must be followed and the height and weight limitations of the installation hardware.
- And finally, all of our team leads are certified by the Glass Association of North America. When we install the showers, you also get a 3-year warranty against failure of your shower.
How long will it take to install my frameless shower door and what can I expect?
A typical three-panel frameless shower door installation takes just 2 to 4 hours. A single frameless shower door can be installed in an hour and a half.
Expect Our White Glove Installation Process
There's a reason we are highly-rated in reviews and recommendations from past clients.
- Our installation technicians are professional, courteous and clean.
- Our installers are fully-credentialed employees, not subcontractors.
- We treat your home with the utmost care. This includes wearing booties and laying down protective floor covering.
- After your frameless shower door installation, our technicians will clean up before leaving.
- We're fully licensed, bonded and insured
Will Dulles Glass and Mirror remove my existing shower to install my frameless shower upgrade?
Absolutely. We can remove and dispose of any existing glass shower or tub doors and panels, before installing your new frameless shower. There will be an additional fee for removing and disposing of your old shower doors. Please note that we do not remove or install shower trays or bathtubs. Removal of shower trays or tubs needs to be completed ahead of time by another party.
What kind of warranty comes with a frameless glass shower?
We offer a comprehensive 3-year warranty on frameless shower enclosures that we install. This includes the glass, hardware and glass protectant. You can find out more about your shower warranty here.
- What is the difference between 3/8 inch thick frameless shower glass and 1/2 inch thick frameless shower glass?
- What is tempered shower glass?
- Which glass styles can I choose for a frameless shower door?
- What's the difference between acid-etched glass and sandblasted glass?
- What is a mickey mouse cutout and why is it used in frameless glass shower doors?
- Why does my frameless shower glass have notches?
- Why is choosing a hinge type for my frameless shower door so important?
- What's the difference between a pivot hinge and a side-mount hinge?
- Is a pivot hinge shower door less expensive than a side-mount hinge shower door?
- What are the specs for side hinges?
- What are the specs for pivot-mount hinges?
- Why is choosing connecting hardware for my frameless shower door so important?
- When are metal clips used in a frameless shower?
- What are the specs for metal clips?
- What's an inline frameless shower?
- What is a neo angle shower?
- What hardware styles and color finishes are available for my frameless shower?
- What styles and color finishes are available for frameless shower accessories?
- Doesn't a shower header ruin my frameless look?